Wednesday, November 21, 2012

To Kindle or Not To Kindle, That Is The Question.

My first Kindle experience was with the Kindle Fire. I received it from my cousin from Florida last year as legal fees for services rendered.  The 7" sized tablets weren't the craze yet.  It was just the iPad.  It was a novel experience for me.  I enjoyed downloading stuffs from the Amazon site (although I had to use my cousin's US-issued credit card to be able to register with Amazon - tough luck).  With just a measly 8gb memory on board, I wasn't able to download and install a lot of apps and reading materials.  The Kindle is basically an e-book reader so what's the need of downloading so much apps in it??? Anyways, I set up my email accounts and they synced well via wifi.  I brought along my fire when it was a burden carrying my iPad long because of the latter's bigger and heftier size.

But I never really got the hang of reading books with my Fire.....I did not immediately see it's really value, reading books because I was embarrassed to take it out in the MRT thinking people will assume it's a Tab (but once I took it out and watched Green Lantern on the way home. Sweeeet!).... until I decided to get myself a Kindle 5 (not the Touch model since I already have the Fire).  I just wanted something more portable and easier to carry in my bag as I travel to and from work taking the MRT every work day.

And so I did get myself a Kindle 5 and it worked for me.  While not yet a certified bookwork/addict, I manage to finish a book every two weeks or so, finding time to read during my commute only and sometimes before shut eye.  But during the times I would read inside the MRT, I needed to find a place directly under the ceiling/dome interior lights of the trains because the Kindle was not backlit (unlike the Fire). And it was getting a chore sometime reading the Kindle specially when the trains are packed and people would be overshadowing my seat and therefore making it harder for me to read.  And so I promised myself I will get myself the Kindle Paperwhite next.

And so I did and my reading has improved and progressed.  I have already disposed my Kindle 5 with its sleek case at a give-away price (waaah!) and am left with my Kindle Paperwhite and Fire.

The Fire is still around with an ambivalent air hovering over it.... whether to dispose it or not..... It will have to go soon because I have also installed the Kindle App in my iPad2 and the magazines are better read (viewed is more like it) in it.  Any takers?

No comments:

Post a Comment